Wednesday, September 1, 2010

An Urge to Discuss Indonesians' Safety in Malaysia




(News Today) - The chairman of the Indonesian Citizens Association in Malaysia (Permai) Machrodji Maghfur expressed hope that the protection of Indonesians in Malaysia would also be discussed during the planned meeting between foreign ministers from the two countries on September 6 in Kinabalu, Malaysia.

Machrodji admitted the border problems often led disputes between Indonesia and Malaysia. However, he also urged the government to pay close attention to protections of Indonesians in Malaysia.

"Criminal cases against our citizens in Malaysia such as the assault on an Indonesian karate referee by Malaysian police, the breaking incident into house of Indonesian Students Union chairman in Kajang and the shooting of three Indonesian workers from Madura had also triggered conflict between Indonesia and Malaysia over the the past years," he said.

Apart from Indonesian government efforts to protect Indonesian citizens in Malaysia a, Machrodji also urged the Malaysian government to give a guarantee om Indonesians’ safety in Malaysia. He said he had heard many complaints from Indonesian workers in Malaysia saying they had been blackmailed by the local police during identity checks at the train station or on the road.

Last June 2009 Indonesia freezed its supply of maids to Malaysia following some cases of maid abuse and lack of benefits, absence of a minimum monthly salary and no provision of day-offs.

Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta last May 18 signed a Letter of Intent to give a new dimension to the employment of domestic workers in Malaysia and the two countries agreed on revised terms to be included in a new MoU scheduled to be signed at the latest in July 2010. However, due to tough going in the negotiations on several issues, the July timeframe could not be kept.

Source : kompas

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Facebook